Monday, June 6, 2011

Induction



Just had Induction this past weekend, and it was so informative. I've been reading blogs from various TFA corps members for the past year or so to get an idea of what Induction would be like, and from the readings that I found, I expected lots of inspirational (TFA-like) speakers, lots of cheering and getting hyped up for the task that lies before us, etc, etc.... Guess I thought it would be a kind of pep rally of sorts to get us geared up and ready to start Institute on a really high note...

Yeah... no, lol. It wasn't bad at all... it was just ... Work. We didn't have any speakers slated to greet us and stir up our enthusiasm for the challenge we're about to take on. We didn't have any cheers or things that you read about so much on other people's blogs who have been through similiar training... but what we did have was, well, excellent.

Our Induction was work from start to finish. We went over (in painstaking detail) all the ways we would be evaluated this summer in Institute, what those evaluation instruments looked like and how they were used, how we could use them to guide our learning and practice teaching, etc. We also covered the specific schedule for Institute (finally, yay), and what those six plus weeks will look like for us. I have to say... the time was used very well and I learned a whole lot.

Although I was kinda looking forward to a speaker or two to give us more info on how this educational inequality is looking nationally and exactly how our work here will help to put a dent in the status quo, I can honestly say that I don't feel my time was wasted at all. On the contrary, I actually feel alot more prepared to enter Institute in a week or so, having a greater understanding of what's required of me and how I will be evaluated. So, all in all, Induction was a good thing!

I so appreciate that the people I've met in our cohort are friendly and outgoing and willing to help each other. I think that with a culture like that, we can accomplish just about anything. And the coolest part is that we're the charter corps in our area this year. How awesome is that??? Man... if you purpose to do your absolute best and learn all you can, dedicate yourself to the commitment and really push, you can come out of this first year having accomplished some great things with your kids. That's soo exciting to me!!!

I have to admit there are times when my mind just fast-forwards to next year this time, when I can look back on the whole experience of Institute and my first year of teaching (and passing my certification program), and realize that 1) I will no longer be a first-year newbie teacher and 2)I'll be a real teacher with a real teaching license behind my name. How cool is that??? 

So looking forward to starting Institute and getting the jitters out with this student teaching thing. I reeeeeeally hope I get a great Cooperating Teacher this summer. Someone who actually likes kids would be phenomenal. I'm determined to soak up every single little itty bit of learning that I can from whoever this person will be... their years of experience in this thing have brought them much wisdom in the everyday how-to, and I'm looking forward to learning as much of that wisdom as I can. Hey, every little bit helps, and I've got a t-o-n of stuff to master in a short time.

I'll do my best to be more regular about my blogging once Institute starts. I can remember scouring Google to find any and everything I could about TFA and similar program blogs that talked in detail about what Institute was like. In keeping with those that did so and ended up helping me in the process, I'm going to do my best to be consistent with it to potentially help next year's cohort when they start their Google searches. We're all helpers one of another, that's the way I look at it!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment